By Lance Coetzee
32 pages, 15 illustrations
$10.00 (Our delivery cost is a flat fee of $9.00 so the more you order the better!)
Information + Taking Control = Best Outcome is the theme running throughout this short, superbly illustrated workbook. Designed to help patients equip themselves with the best information about metastatic prostate cancer, it covers:
• how prostate disease spreads and where it can spread to
• a summary of diagnostic tests with detailed explanations to aid understanding of PSA levels, staging and Gleason score
• all the hormone treatment options and their side effects
• what to expect from the disease itself
• how to manage key symptoms such as bone pain, urinary problems and fatigue
• the treatment options when hormone treatment stops working
• useful advice on diet, exercise, and getting the right support
• a frank discussion of end of life care
• a concise overview of the latest research in this area.
With FastTests to test patients’ understanding of their condition, handy checklists and plenty of space for patients and their doctors, nurses and family to write notes, this concise, easy-to-read resource will help patients get organized so that they are better equipped to ask the right questions and have more meaningful discussions about their treatment. Ultimately, it will help them make the best decisions about their care.
• Information + Taking Control = Best Outcome
• What is metastatic prostate cancer?
• What do my test results mean?
• Why is my cancer staged?
• How will the disease affect me?
• How is metastatic prostate cancer treated?
• What is available after hormone therapy?
• What are the side effects of hormone treatment?
• What can I do to help myself?
• Monitoring the effects of therapy
• Treatment when myeloma returns
• End of life care
• What is the latest research in this area?
• Useful resources
What the reviewers say:
“From one advanced metastatic prostate cancer guy to others, I recommend this resource to both patients and caregivers, as it gives you a step by step approach to assist you in your conversations with your doctor and, most importantly, a better understanding of the disease and your treatment options.”
Mark Morrow, prostate cancer patient, USA
“A well-written resource that addresses important questions for patients with prostate cancer once it has spread, highly recommended.”
Dr Bernardo L Rapoport, Medical Oncologist; Director, The Medical Oncology Centre of Rosebank, Johannesburg, South Africa
“An extremely valuable resource for each and every man who suffers from advanced prostate cancer, and for his family. This readily understandable and beautifully illustrated workbook will enable patients to become more closely involved in the key treatment decisions that are needed to maintain control of this devastating and debilitating disease.”
Professor Roger Kirby, Vice-President, Prostate Cancer UK
“This book is packed full of useful information that advanced prostate cancer patients need to consider. It is clearly set out and will be very helpful for all those going through treatment.”
The Urology Foundation, UK
“An abundance of information, presented well.”
Rudolph M Navari, Professor of Medicine, University of Alabama, Birmingham School of Medicine, USA
Urology Consultant, University of Pretoria and the Pretoria Urology Hospital, South Africa
Are you a healthcare professional?
Have you taken the FastTest for this title?
Thank you for your feedback
Feel free to leave a comment for the authors below.
If you haven't already, don't forget to take the FastTest for this title.
Good health decisions